St Mary and All Saints' Church, Lambourne.© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Parish Church (St. Mary and All Saints,) is a neat ancient structure, with a nave and chancel of one pace and tiled, and at the west end is a wooden tower, containing three bells, and crowned by a leaded spire.
In the interior are many handsome monuments, one of which has a long inscription in memory of Dr. Wynnyffe, bishop of Lincoln. In the chancel are three beautiful stained glass windows, one containing five pieces of valuable old painting brought from Basle, in Switzerland, in 1817. Under a square tomb in the churchyard, are deposited the remains of Admiral Sir Edward Hughes, who served in the Navy more than half a century, and died at Luxborough House, in Chigwell, in 1794, aged 77 years.
The church was appropriated about 1200, by Robert de Lambourne to the canons of Waltham Holy Cross.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14, and in 1831 at £500, is in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. James Goodwin, B.D., who has 35A.1R. of glebe, and a good residence, with tasteful pleasure grounds. The tithes were commuted, in 1840, for £610 per annum.
In the village of Abridge, is a neat Chapel of Ease, built by subscription, in 1836, at the cost of about £52O; and another place of worship built by Wes1eyans in 1833, but now belonging to Independents.