Council Services and Who Does What
If you are new to the district or just not sure who to contact at the Council when you need help and advice, this may help.
Different levels of local government provide different services, so information may save time when searching for advice or reporting an issue.
In the Epping Forest district
Essex County Council
Essex County Council is responsible for:
- Roads, streets and transport, including potholes and roadworks
- Children’s social care
- Adult social care
- Births, ceremonies and deaths
- Recycling centres and tips
- Trading Standards
Epping Forest District Council
Epping Forest District Council is responsible for:
- Collecting recycling and rubbish
- Planning and building control
- Collecting Council Tax
- Business rates
Town and parish councils
Town and parish councils are responsible for:
- Play areas
- Hall hire
- Public toilets
- They are also involved in planning applications in their area
There are 24 town and parish councils in the Epping Forest district.
The forest does not come under the control of Epping Forest District Council, it is the responsibility of the Corporation of London.
Visit the Corporation of London website including information on: